Title: Western New Mexico Program Associate
Status: Full time, Exempt
Reports to: CVNM Education Fund Campaigns Director
Conservation Voters New Mexico Education Fund (CVNM Education Fund) is a statewide nonprofit environmental organization which believes that protecting our environment begins with the people of New Mexico. We do this by engaging the people of New Mexico in our long-standing shared values of protecting our air, land, water and the health of our communities. We also do this by mobilizing people to advocate on policy, enhancing the voting process, encouraging people to vote, cultivating conservation leaders and amplifying the voices of those most affected.
We are seeking a full-time exempt Program Associate to join our program team in western New Mexico. The Program Associate will be tasked with engaging and building relationships with McKinley and Cibola County families, community leaders and decision-makers to take action to protect the community and local watershed from environmental impacts to land, air and water. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, and goal-driven individual who enjoys working with a team, understands the importance of civic engagement in the policy process, and is passionate about building collective power in rural, Indigenous and/or communities of color. This position is based in McKinley County, and requires the ability to work a non-standard work week, including some evenings and weekends.
- Build, develop and train a base of dedicated volunteers and advocates to provide them with the tools and ability to enable them to have a long-term voice for environmental policies and values in the community.
- Build relationships with community leaders and decision-makers in support of the program scope of work.
- Collaborate with the CVNM Education Fund Campaigns Director to identify and implement strategies to meet campaign goals and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
- Assist policy staff in identifying and creating policy solutions in the state legislature that bridge the western New Mexico campaign with the statewide policy goals of CVNM Education Fund, including providing information for policy overviews, engaging the public in the decision-making process, and lobbying.
- Work with CVNM Education Fund Communications Director and CVNM Education Fund Campaigns Director to implement earned media strategies, including press conferences, letters to the editor, and face to face meetings with reporters.
- Track organizing work through a database and assist with campaign reporting, as needed.
- Work effectively as a member of a team, with the independence required of this position.
- Comply with CVNM Education Fund’s policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned by CVNM Education Fund Campaigns Director.
- In this remote position, the incumbent should be able to work independently, be comfortable collecting data, making and communicating decisions, be able to communicate in a timely and effective manner with others within the organization, and to use electronic tools (such as on-line google calendaring and video conferencing).
- Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue, political or labor organizing programs or campaigns, or in industries that engage the general public, like sales, customer service, or education.
- Ability to efficiently utilize electronic databases and Excel.
- Comfortable presenting to Indigenous, bilingual and multicultural audiences, and engaging or collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of Indigenous, rural communities in New Mexico and/or communities of color.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water, and wildlife
- Strong understanding of how engaging the public in the political process can create policy change. Understanding of how a bill becomes a law or city/county policy processes is a plus. Knowledge of Navajo Nation and/or Tribal Government nations processes work is a plus.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, with demonstrated success balancing multiple projects and meeting deadlines.
- Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends as needed.
- Ability to implement key organizing strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, public speaking and willingness to learn and implement additional strategies.
- Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required, including occasional travel from McKinley County to Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
- Position is focused in McKinley County, and Program Associate must be comfortable in a remote work setting and/or working from home.
- A valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and reliable mode of transportation.
This is a full-time exempt salaried position based on experience. CVNM Education Fund also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes paid vacation and sick leave, as well as health, dental and vision coverage.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Western New Mexico Program Associate” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. CVNM Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with CVNM Education Fund is at will. If you need additional assistance to apply, please contact email@example.com. No calls please.