Title: Development Director
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Conservation Voters New Mexico (CVNM) and CVNM Education Fund are a family of nonprofit organizations headquartered in Santa Fe, NM. our vision is for New Mexicans to thrive in just, resilient communities where our conservation and cultural values guide our decision-makers and public policies. CVNM connects the people of New Mexico to their political power by mobilizing voters, winning elections, holding elected officials accountable and advancing responsible public policies.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic Development Director to lead CVNM’s fundraising and donor engagement work to support and grow CVNM and CVNM Education Fund’s program reach. The Development Director will oversee and implement strategies and programs that help to identify, engage, cultivate and solicit donors and funders, and oversee grants and foundations relations. The right candidate for this role will have demonstrated success in fundraising and development, and strong written and storytelling skills.
The Development Director must be committed to our mission and values of authentic community and stakeholder engagement in policy work, and equitable opportunities that promote race equity, diversity, and inclusion. CVNM staff incorporate these values into our day-to-day systems and work, and provide key support for collaboration across departments and organizational partnerships. This position is based in Santa Fe, requires the ability to work a non-standard work week including some evenings and weekends, and travel in and out of state as needed.
- Develop and implement a multi-year strategic, comprehensive plan with overarching, measurable goals for the department, and specific measurable goals for each aspect of the program.
- Personally manage a portfolio of donors and prospective donors (individuals, corporations and foundations);
- Develop and implement a written plan for identifying, qualifying, engaging, soliciting and stewarding potential major, mid-range, and other donors;
- Develop and organize fundraising events;
- Develop and implement a planned giving program;
- Work closely with the communications department to ensure integrated and consistent messaging;
- Work with the board of directors to support major gifts efforts;
- Oversee grants and foundation relations program;
- Train, supervise and mentor Development staff to execute leadership giving, special events, membership, and other development work;
- Participate in department and organization-wide planning and activities; and
- Other duties as assigned by leadership.
- A bachelor’s degree and five or more years of development and fundraising experience;
- Writing and speaking skills that translate into compelling pitches, effective asks and meaningful reports to donors on the impact of their gifts that protect and reflect the mission, goals and values of our organization;
- A proven competency of philanthropy in the non-profit sector;
- An ability to qualify donors that represent the highest giving potential for our organization, create reasonable individual financial goals and create personal contact and ask plans;
- A strong desire to build new relationships, listen to and interact with people from diverse backgrounds, and create partnerships that are mutually meaningful;
- Strong organizational abilities including collaborating, planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation;
- A team player who is comfortable managing several responsibilities and pitching in where needed;
- Exemplary proficiency in interpersonal communication, listening and conflict resolution; diplomatic in resolving issues, and an ability to maintain a positive solution-based approach in high pressure or difficult situations;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest or commitment to work on environmental issues that impact our air, land, water and community health; and
- A belief that who we elect matters and that the protection of New Mexico’s land, air and water should be a political priority.
This is a full-time exempt salaried position based on experience. CVNM also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes vacation and sick leave, as well as health, dental and vision coverage.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Director” in the subject line by December 6th, 2019. Position is open until filled. No calls please.
CVNM is an equal opportunity employer. If you need additional assistance to apply, please contact email@example.com. Employment with CVNM is at will.