Title: Program Associate
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Campaigns and Civic Engagement Director
Salary: $55,000, negotiable for candidates with exceptional experience
Location: Based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, remote-hybrid possible
At the heart of CVNMEF is our dedicated team of people who hold deeply shared values for protecting our democracy and our environment. Our organizational culture is one that embraces continual learning around our commitment to equity, and to advocacy informed by our communities living on the front lines of drought, wildfires, floods, and other ravages of climate change. Our diverse board and staff bring a deep well of expertise and lived experience to the organization. Together, we are focused on connecting people to their political power, electing leaders who will act on climate, and advancing policies that protect our air, land, water, wildlife, and the health of our people.
At CVNMEF, we are committed to caring for our exceptional team while attracting talented new staff people with a broad range of expertise to join us in this monumental fight to solve the climate crisis. We strive to give our hardworking teamstaff what they need to achieve fulfilling work/life harmony. We offer the highest standard of health and wellness benefits and paid time off, including a merit-based sabbatical program. In recent years, we have also expanded our organizational structure to offer more pathways and opportunities for career advancement in advocacy, campaigns, operations, philanthropy, communications, and equity and culture. If this sounds interesting to you, we invite you to check out our current job openings.
The Program Associate works across the CVNMEF family of organizations with our program staff to connect the public to the decision-making process. The Associate also provides critical support during the legislative session. It’s a dynamic position, with opportunities for professional growth.
The Program Associate incorporates the values of racial equity, diversity and inclusion in the organization’s day-to-day systems and work, and provides key support for collaboration across internal departments, external audiences, and organizational partnerships.
Come make a difference with us!
- Collaborate with program and advocacy staff to identify and implement strategies to meet goals and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
- Implement strategies that achieve organizational goals, including providing information for policy overviews, engaging the public in decision-making process, and other advocacy strategies.
- Work with Communications Director and Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director to implement earned media strategies, including press conferences, letters to the editor, and face to face meetings with reporters.
- During the legislative session, assist with bill tracking, committee and schedule monitoring, data compilation, and committee alert dissemination.
- Organize public advocacy days during the session, as needed.
- Track organizing work through a database and assist with campaign reporting, as needed.
- Implement field engagement strategies like canvassing, phone banking, tabling, and flyering.
- Develop and/or circulate petitions, letters, earned media, and other strategies, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to use appropriate discretion and make decisions independently.
- Comply with CVNM’s policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director.
- Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue, political or labor organizing programs or campaigns, or in industries that engage the general public, like sales, customer service, or education.
- Ability to comfortably utilize databases and Excel.
- Comfortable presenting to bi-lingual and multicultural audiences, and engaging or collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of rural and/or communities of color in New Mexico.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water, wildlife and community health.
- Strong understanding of how engaging the public in the political process can create policy change. Understanding of how a bill becomes a law or city/county policy processes is a plus.
- Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends when needed. It is not needed often.
- Ability to implement key organizing strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, public speaking and willingness to learn and implement additional strategies. Willingness to engage with strangers with enthusiasm, poise, and patience.
- Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required, including regular travel (once a week) to Santa Fe.
- Qualified candidates will possess a four-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- Candidates must be attentive to detail and capable of making quick, informed decisions.
- Demonstrated competency in financial management.
- Approaches changing deadlines or priorities with flexibility and professionalism.
- A team player who is comfortable managing several responsibilities and helping in other areas as needed.
- Strong computer skills and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), and QuickBooks. Experience with Google Workspace is a plus.
- The ideal candidate would be highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Ability to work both independently and effectively as a member of a team, with the discretion required to implement the core responsibilities of this position.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A belief that who we elect matters and that the protection of New Mexico’s land, air, water, wildlife, and communities should be a political priority.
- Adherance to CVNM’s COVID policy.
- Political or policy experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in partnership with rural and/or communities of color is preferred.
- Understanding of how a bill becomes a law or city/county policy processes is preferred.
Compensation: $55,000. This is a full-time exempt salaried position. CVNMEF also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes vacation and sick leave, a 4-day work week, 401K, and health, dental, and vision coverage.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with “Program Associate” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please. Candidates from historically underrepresented or disenfranchised backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of all we do at CVNM and CVNMEF. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants free from discrimination and harassment of any type regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Associate” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please.
Candidates from historically underrepresented or disenfranchised backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.