Title: Juntos Community Organizer
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: CVNMEF Juntos Program Coordinator
Conservation Voters New Mexico Education Fund (CVNMEF) is a statewide nonprofit environmental organization that believes that protecting our environment begins with the people of New Mexico. We do this by engaging the people of New Mexico in our long-standing shared values of protecting our air, land, water and the health of our communities. We do this by mobilizing people to advocate on policy, enhancing the voting process, encouraging people to vote, cultivating conservation leaders and amplifying the voices of those most affected.
CVNMEF launched our program Juntos: Our Air, Our Water in 2014 in partnership with the League of Conservation Voter’s Chispa. Juntos is a grassroots community organizing program that works to ensure that Latino communities in Albuquerque have a strong voice and the power to influence local, state and national decisions that impact their health and environment.
We are seeking a full-time Community Organizer to join our Albuquerque-based Juntos team. The Organizer will be an experienced community organizer who is tasked with engaging and building relationships with Latino families in Albuquerque to take action in the fight against pollution and climate change and to promote clean air, clean water and clean energy including our Clean Buses for Healthy Niños campaign. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, and experienced community organizer who is goal-driven, enjoys working with a team, and experienced in building collective power in low income and communities of color. This position also requires the ability to work a non-standard workweek, and some evenings and weekends.
- Build, develop, and train a grassroots base of dedicated Latinos that will have a long-term voice for environmental justice and community health policies and values in the community.
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator to identify and implement strategies that successfully recruit constituents, build grassroots leaders, and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
- Identify new members and how to get them involved by conducting one-on-one’s, presentations, door knocking and other outreach methods.
- Support volunteer leaders in the development and sustaining of committees who are involved in advancing campaign goals.
- Conduct leadership trainings for high-level volunteers to grow their advocacy and organizing skillset.
- Track organizing work meticulously in VAN and other databases, submit weekly reports to the Program Coordinator.
- Work effectively as a member of a team, with the independence and initiative required of this position.
- Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs.
- Successful track record of grassroots organizing, training volunteers, leadership development, implementing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups.
- Experience with VAN and Excel is highly preferred.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Spanish language skills.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of communities of color in New Mexico.
- Must be able to work a non-standard workweek, including nights and weekends on occasion.
- Must be able to implement key organizing and campaign strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and public speaking.
- Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required.
- Position is based out of the organization’s Albuquerque office.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com no later than February 28th 2018 with “Juntos Community Organizer” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please.
CVNMEF is an equal opportunity employer committed to racial justice and equity in the workplace.